Tuesday, September 11, 2012

When school parallels life it is weird

One of the classes I'm taking this semester is called Cultural aspects of international business. Last night was our first meeting. As part of class, our professor walked us through the steps of obtaining an international assignment, adjusting to it, then adjusting to home. His language was vague enough that I couldn't help but find parallels to leaving a long term relationship.

It is an adventure. One I entered reluctantly, but entered all the same. Once one arrives in the place of their foreign adventure, there is a child like dependence that will develop, mostly due to language gaps. Now that I'm in my adjustment period I'm trying to avoid the people that are discouraging and put up walls, and the "wonderful
magicians" that befriend you and guide you through the way.

Maybe it was my stress level or maybe it was my period, but I was almost tearing up. I'm still identifying who my threshold guardians are and who are my true magical friends. Unfortunately, we are all speaking English and it's harder to distinguish between the two. Like most ex-pats, I'm hoping to overcome the odds and be successful in settling in. At the very least, I should be getting tips from this class.

I don't know about anyone else, but being smacked across the face by another way of looking at whatever is bothering you, seems to put things into perspective.

Here's to new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment